Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Physical Therapist-- An Overview

Since I recently decided this is a career I am interested in, I have many unanswered questions. I went to the Library on campus and found a few books that provided very insightful information to me about the basics of the life of a physical therapist...

In Top 100 Health-Care Careers, Dr. Saul Wischneitzerer explains the principle activity of a physical thereapy career as, "helping patients overcome physical limitations" (354). He also explains that a four-year bachelor's degree is required and a two-year master's degree is recommended for the profession (354).  When I was reading this, I was very pleased to learn that the career opportunities for this particular job are highly favorable, and that on average a physical therapist can make from $60,000 to $88,000 in one year (354). 

After I learned about the program lengths, salary, and educational requirements, I was still curious to learn more details about the profession. As I continued to read, I ran into some very interesting things. Health-Care Careers Directory states that, "Employment of physical therapists is expected to grow by 30 percent from 2008 to 2018, much faster than the average for all occupations" (Maves 370). This makes sense because the baby-boom generation is rapidly approaching a prime age for heart attacks and strokes, which will make physical rehabilitation a huge need. 

I also was informed in, Health-Care Careers Directory that as a physical therapist, there are several places you can work instead of solely a private physical therapy office. You have the opportunity to work in a nursing home, a school, a university, a pediatric center, or even a sports facility (370). Because of this, there are many opportunities for to advancement in the career. Maves states that, "With experience, a physical therapist can become a senior therapist, department supervisor, coordinator of rehabilitation services, or even facility administrator" (355). The good thing about this is that with all of these advancements comes a pay increase.

I also learned that all states require therapists to be licensed in order to practice (Wischnitzer 355). Although, this brings up another thought. How does a person become licensed? While reading, I found that there is a test you have to take to become a licensed physical therapist. I am not looking forward to that part of the job, but I know once I am licensed it will be worth it. Physical therapy programs are offered at many universities. Michigan State, however, does not have one. I have been looking at various schools that do and learned that there are a lot of very good schools in California that have a program. Some schools that have physical therapy programs in Michigan are: Central Michigan University, Grand Valley University, University of Michigan, and Oakland University (Wischnitzer  258).


Works Cited:

Maves, Michael. Health Care Careers Directory, 2011-2012. 39th ed. Chicago, IL: American Medical Association, 2011. Print.
Wischnitzer, Saul. Top 100 Health-care Careers: Your Complete Guidebook to Training and Jobs in Allied Health, Nursing, Medicine, and More. 3rd ed. Indianapolis, IN: JIST Pub., 2011. Print.


1 comment:

  1. I think you have done a great job introducing the physical therapy field. From stating the salary, the education, the benefits, the different parts of the field, and other basic information it really gives people that do not know much about P.T. the basic information. As a student as your audience, this post shows me information that could easily get me interested in your field. Also as a "no preference" major that is taking no physical therapy related courses, it has shown me that maybe sometime I would like to take a course that relates. Good job on the post! It was very helpful to me, as I'm sure it will be to others

    ReplyDelete