Friday, September 7, 2012

Daydreaming

As I was sitting in my Introduction to Human Nutrition class the other day, I began to ponder many of my thoughts. Is this really what I want to do with my life? Is this career going to be difficult for me to accomplish? My professor, not even realizing I wasn't paying attention, continued with her lengthy, tedious lecture. Her soft voice, echoing faintly inside my head. I decided I had to snap out of my meditative, daydreaming thoughts and start paying attention. As soon as I did this, she began discussing how obesity rates are currently soaring through the roof. She also noted on the numerous health problems that are present in our nation today: diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer, and many more. These sad and unfortunate statistics hit me close to home. I care about the well-being of other people. At that moment, I came to fathom that doing choosing a career I am passionate is incredibly important. As a physical therapist, I would be helping people overcome their physical disabilities. I believe that all people have the right to live a life not hindered by physical ailments. Although right now having to go to graduate school does not sound all that appealing, I know that in the end it will be worth it.

1 comment:

  1. This post was very relatable for me. Just as yourself, I also chose a career that I am passionate about and one that makes me feel accomplished because I am helping others improve their lives. Like you, I also was hesitant to decide on a career because I did not know if it would lead me to a place of happiness and accomplishment. It is a big decision when you choose a major because it is not as much choosing a major as it is choosing a future. But now that I am happy with where my choice has taken me, I could not be more excited for all the experiences, friends and connections that will come in the future.

    ReplyDelete