Monday, September 24, 2012

Attending a New Class


I decided to learn a little more information about athletic training since physical therapy and athletic training are closely related and connected. I am also considering an athletic training major since a physical therapy major is not specifically provided at Michigan State. One of my friend’s is in an Introduction to Athletic Training class, so I decided to attend one of these classes with her. At the beginning of class, the professor talked a little bit about what an athletic training major includes at MSU. I learned that undergraduate athletic training students complete a two-year athletic training curriculum major program and also work with numerous athletic teams at MSU. Through this intense program, students gain knowledge through a variety of situations, settings, and exposures. The athletic training student gets the opportunity to assist in decision-making opportunities, injury evaluation discussions, and communication situations. One of the main focuses of the class that I attended was taping, specifically on taping ankles and wrists for athlete's who have injuries. Each of the students got a hands-on experience and taped each other’s body parts. Their homework was to go home and practice their taping. What I thought would be an uninteresting class, turned out to be very fun. Athletic training requires a lot of persistence and determination, but I'm sure it would be worth it in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment