Friday, October 12, 2012

Inspiration


In my health and nutrition class, we have been talking a lot about global malnutrition. We have learned about the mass amount of people that are affected daily by malnutrition. Every few seconds a person loses their life from being malnourished. Being the type of person that I am, I hate to see this types of things happen to individuals, so I decided to talk to my professor after class about what I can do to help. When I asked her about this, she asked me what my intended major was, and I told her I that I am planning to major in physical therapy. She informed me that there are many countries across the globe that are in constant need of physical therapists. She also explained that there are many ways that I can help with global issues that don’t necessarily deal with malnutrition. This conversation has really inspired me to start thinking about moving out of the country after I graduate to help the vast amount of people around the world who are struggling physically.

2 comments:

  1. I can definitely relate to your feelings of wanting to help those that do not have the resources to help themselves or wanting to help those that cannot help themselves. I think that it is great that you are considering moving out of the country after graduation. If there is any time in someone's life where they should be exploring and seeing the world it is right after college. I also want to try and gain some experience outside of this country because I think I will gain a better sense of how the rest of the world learns or operates on a daily basis. I would love to travel to Africa or Europe and teach those that are less fortunate. Finally, I think that if you have the opportunity to work somewhere outside of the United States then you should take it. Best of luck as you move forward in your physical therapy journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading this I thought back to what I want to do and even though I want to be an athletic trainer I've always toyed with the idea of becoming a physical therapist after. I can honestly say I didn't know about the need for physical therapists everywhere... I was shocked when I found this out and I would have never tied physical therapy back into the world’s malnutrition problems. I thought this was really cool because, first off I think I have the same class as you and second I remember talking about this and it being a huge problem. But what makes me even more in awe is the fact that your toying with the idea of living out of the nation and doing work to help others. Personally I don't think I could ever do that because I would miss my family to much but I really admire that you would be willing to put your the needs of others before you. With this I can honestly tell your passionate about physical therapy and the tending to the needs of others. This blog has really inspired me in the field of physical therapy and even in my own field, which is athletic training. With this, I look forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete